Fitness WordPress Theme

Joanne Mills: S4C Wales Ladies Championship 2008

Not only are the 2008, £350,000 S4C Wales Ladies Championship of Europe returning to Machynys this weekend, Australian golfer and defending champion Joanne Mills will be looking to make back to back wins.

There are 135 ladies in the field. Some notable competition for Mills include the 2004 champion Trish Johnson and Rebecca Hudson of England, Frenchwoman Gwladys Nocera and South Korean teenager Amy Yang, who won her second title of the year last week in Sweden. Certain to draw the crowds is Laura Davies, the big-hitting former world number one and Britain’s greatest female player.

The home favorite Becky Brewerton, from St Asaph, is also targeting her first Welsh title. Brewerton is the highest ranked Welsh player at 12th on the New Star Money List. The 2007 English Open champion is hoping that her putting lesson with Dr Paul Hurrion on Monday will increase her chances at the tournament.

"I've changed my set-up which will hopefully help my stroke a bit. It wasn't too in depth but we made a few changes," said Brewerton. "It feels good. The last six weeks I've been playing quite well and if I can incorporate some good putting then that might be what I need to win.

"I can't imagine winning in Wales, it would be incredible. It would be up there with anything I could do from winning a Solheim Cup to winning a British Open. To be in contention at the weekend and then win would be unbelievable," she said.

Laura Davies, England's most successful golfer said "I've finished second in the Wales Open three times already and I've had enough of seconds. I'd like to win one now," said Davies, who is hoping to bounce back from an indifferent start to the 2008 season in America, where her best result of the season was a share of ninth place at the Safeway International presented by Coca-Cola.

"It's been a long year in America and I've not done that well. It hasn't been a particularly good year. I decided I wanted to stay in Europe to play seven of the next eight events. I'd like to get more Solheim Cup points over the next few weeks too," she said.

"I've lost a lot of confidence and it would be nice to get on a good run with some top-tens and hopefully a win."

Australia's Joanne Mills attempts to defend the title she won by a stroke on a wet and windy final day last year.

For more golf news from Australia and around the world, click here: