Dog Has 13 Golf Balls Removed From Stomach

A five-year-old black Labrador named Oscar has had 13 golf balls removed from his stomach after his owner heard a 'rattling noise' coming from his maraca pet.

Oscar's owner, Chris Morrison, takes the dog for regular walks near a golf course in Dunfermline, Fife (Scotland) and it's thought that Oscar has swallowed all the balls over a period of months. Morrison said: "He normally picks up golf balls and brings them home but must have been swallowing some all along. I take him out early in the morning and late at night, normally around the areas of the ninth and 12th fairways. He hunts them down like truffles. He finds them in all sorts of places where golfers lose them."

Family vet and part time caterer, Bob Hesketh, had no hesitation-getting wrist deep inside Oscar: "When I went into his stomach I was expecting one or two balls but they just kept coming." One of the balls had been in Oscar's stomach so long it had turned black. Another ball still had a hand holding it! OK, no, it didn't but it would have made for a far better story.

Unfortunately, the story doesn't say how many friends Oscar's owner invited over to listen to his rattling dog, but I think he was rattling a lot longer than when the thirteenth golf ball dropped. In my uneducated opinion, eight-plus golf balls would have rattled almost as loud as thirteen would.

Oscar is apparently all but recovered since his operation, however, Mr. Morrison is the one with the three thousand dollar vet bill; I don't believe he has fully recovered yet.

More wacky golf story's from Australia and around the world can be found here: