Fitness WordPress Theme

Craig Jones: Lowest Australian Golf Score 59

Queenslander, Craig Jones has shot the lowest golf score in Australian professional golfing history, with a remarkable 13 under 59 at the $15,000 Horton Park Pro-am Championship on the Sunshine Coast.

"I can't describe the feeling when I hit that putt on the last. I knew I had a chance, but couldn't believe it when it went in," he said. "I've been home from Japan for three weeks and haven't been playing very well. It was just one of those days when everything went right."

The 38-year old golfer won the 1994 New Zealand Open but has campaigned in Japan in recent years.

Jones holed a 6m putt on the last hole to card the amazing score at Maroochydore, bettering Brad McIntosh who was the only other golfer to shoot 59 in Australia. McIntosh shot his 59 in the second round of the Queensland PGA at Emerald Lakes on the Gold Coast in November 2005. However, the short Emerald Lakes layout was a par 71 course whereas Horton Park is a championship par 72 course.

Jones' round included 10 birdies, two eagles and a bogey. He birdied every par four on the course. "When I hit the putt on the last I knew it had a chance and I can't describe the feeling when it went in," said Jones, who will join the Japanese Tour on Sunday.

More great Aussie feel good stories like Craig Jones can be found here: