Fitness WordPress Theme

Geoff Ogilvy: Golf's Yoda

Geoff Ogilvy is arguably the wisest man on the professional golf tour and he does not mind telling you. Affectionately known as 'Yoda' by his peers, Ogilvy said in a recent interview that, "The event itself forces my mind to be in the right place." Yes Geoff the 'Force'.

Ogilvy's stock went up tremendously after winning the US Open in 2006 and since then his wisdom has multiplied. Ogilvy's coach, Dale Lynch, says it is the Australian's intelligence, which sets him apart from all but a few. "A major," says Lynch, "needs more thought than a regular tournament and if you look at players like Geoff, Tiger, Jim Furyk and Padraig Harrington, they all think well. They plot their way round and they keep their mistakes to a minimum."

Before every Major, you can find Dale strapped to Geoff's back, as he trains in the swamplands of Dagobah, honing his skills in the legendary rough.

Here are some timeless quotes from Geoff over the years:

Wisdom:

"It plays long all the time. Even though the ball goes a long way here, it's still a long golf course."

Confidence:

"Walking up 15, I wasn't very happy with the way it all sat. I didn't think I had any chance, but I didn't give up. I thought even if I birdied the last four holes, I'm not going to do it."

Vision:


"I don't know, I can't explain it. It happens in match play. Once a guy starts winning holes, you keep winning holes."

Humility:

"I played the best I have played all week today, and I played really well this afternoon."

You will be pleased to know that more wacky golf stories can be found here: